Restriction d'accès

X
L'accès à ce site est réservé aux personnes majeures.
The Chateau

History and photo gallery

THE HISTORY OF THE CHATEAU OF CHAINTRES


In 1675, the Oratorian Fathers of Saumur, defenders of the Catholic faith and sent to the region to fight against the religionists of the Protestant Academy, probably felt the need for a pied-à-terre a little far from Saumur. Perhaps for security reasons, perhaps to better keep the region under their control, they decided to acquire the Château de Chaintres.

The Revocation of the Edict of Nantes having driven out the Protestants, the Oratorians can now devote themselves to more rural tasks and enhance the terroir that the lands of Château de Chaintres offer them. They organize work to refurbish and preserve the buildings that dated back to the 15th century. They planted vines and built a 1.8 km wall around the Domaine to protect it. According to the Maine et Loire departmental archives, wine is considered one of the best in the country and its price is used as a reference for setting annual prices.

In particular, these enclosed walls have made it possible to better structure the exploitation of the vineyards, by isolating the elite vineyards from the common vineyard. Until the end of the 18th century, owners of vines surrounded by a vineyard had the decisive advantage of being able to choose the date of harvest of the grapes, while the unconfined vineyard had to comply with the ban on harvesting.

Apart from these patrimonial advantages, the ecological, mainly climatic, advantages are far from negligible, as the vine has the reputation of maturing more easily and completely. The walls are made of white tufa stone and reflect part of the light signal. In addition, the owners of this property have made the necessary contributions to improve the nature of the soil. The term "cheintre", synonymous with closed, comes from a small land levee that the rural people of langue d'oïl took from the Romans who called it Corona.

From 1792, the properties of the Clergy of Saumur were put up for sale nationally and at auction.

Château de Chaintres includes a master house, a building forming a barn, a third building with two barns, presses, vats with attic above, a fourth and fifth building (housing for servants and cellars), a garden to the south of the courtyard, the vineyards of the clos, all enclosed by walls.

The estate passed into the hands of knights and viscounts, before becoming the property of the de Tigny family in 1935. Mrs de Tigny, whose husband died in deportation in 1945, added to her realism as an American by birth, a knowledge of the vintages that was admired by the most delicate of our winegrowers.

And that's how Chaintres still lives, thanks to the passing of the torch between the generations of the Tigny family. His appearance as a beautiful gentleman's residence has been preserved up to now, as has the quality of his famous wines. Today, Elisabeth de Tigny Mourot combines tradition and modernity to offer quality wines.


PHOTO GALLERY

Click on the photos to view the slideshow

 

Domaine de Chaintressaumur champigny    saumur champigny saumur champigny saumur champigny
Le château en automne saumur champigny    Le vignoble saumur champigny

Voiture ancienne saumur champigny

Les caves saumur champigny
Coucher de soleil saumur champigny    Eté large saumur champigny

Arc en ciel saumur champigny

Les vignes en hiver saumur champigny

saumur champigny

saumur champigny

saumur champigny saumur champigny  
saumur champigny chateau de chaintres  saumur champigny bio  saumur blanc bio


biodynamie

saumur champigny bio

Up

L'abus d’alcool est dangereux pour la santé. A consommer avec modération.
La vente d'alcool est interdite aux mineurs.

Château de Chaintres
Château de Chaintres
Château de Chaintres

Copyright © 2020 Château de Chaintres - All rights reserved - Designed by torop,net - Website updated with wsb.torop.net - Site map